The 6th Annual Cross Border Livestock Health Conference (CBLHC) will be held, July 17-18, 2013 in Anchorage, Alaska in conjunction with the 2013 Pacific Northwest Economic Region (PNWER) 23rd Annual Summit July 14-18, 2013.
Past conferences have had participation of over 75 state and provincial veterinarians, federal government veterinarians, animal health representatives, industry representatives, legislators and elected officials from both Canada and the United States.
This two day conference provided delegates with the opportunity to enhance cross border cooperation on animal health issues:
- Enhance relationships and build networks between US state and Canadian provincial jurisdictions
- Exchange information on animal health issues/concerns
- Develop a common understanding of disease policies
- Exchange information on emergency response to emerging and foreign animal disease
- Advance Canadian and American animal health interests
- Identify and execute action items to collectively address animal health and cross border issues
Follow up with event participants will continue after the event as the action items identified at the conference are addressed over the following year. Progress on the action items will be communication to the conference participants through email and postings on the CBLHC website. Conference Action Items will be presented to the PNWER Executive Board, which is comprised of state and provincial legislators from around the region. These action items will also be presented to federal leadership in Washington DC and Ottawa to further advance regional animal health concerns. The CBLHC website will be maintained and used as a communication tool to share information with past and future conference participants. PNWER will also collaborate with the CBLHC Action Item Team to identify how the organization and Legislators can advocate on behalf of the group.