2012 Action items
- Action Item 1 - Active involvement in livestock specific Regulatory Cooperation Council (RCC) Initiatives Description of Action Item - Provide continued support for livestock based RCC initiatives. Provide a forum for communication for stakeholder engagement.
Team Lead - TBD
Team Members - Mr. Ryan Beierbach: Saskatchewan Cattlemen’s Association; Dr. Ed Empringham: Canadian Animal Health Coalition; Dr. Gerald Hauer: Alberta Agriculture and Rural Development
- Action Item 2 - Electronic Certification and Live Cattle Description of Action Item - CBLHC to resubmit proposal for pilot project on and support e-certification in live cattle. Request specific criteria for system needs to fulfill data and security requirements from USDA and CFIA.
Team Leads - Mr. Aaron Canart: Agri Beef Co.; Mr. Mike Nikolaisen: BC Association of Cattle Feeders; Dr. Louis Desautels: Canadian Cattlemen’s Association
Team Members - Mr. Bill Jameson: National Cattle Feeders Association; Dr. Larry Delver: Alberta Beef Producers; Dr. Bob Gerlach: Government of Alaska
- Action Item 3 - Disease Prevention, Detection and Response
Description of Action Item - Reevaluate past action items to include aspects of disease prevention and detection as part of emerging animal disease response.
Team Leads - Dr. Jagdish Patel: Alberta Agriculture and Rural Development
Team Members - Ms. Nadia Shah: BC Dairy Association
- Action Item 4 - Animal Welfare Description of Action Item - Support further animal welfare initiatives for the development of science based guidelines/requirements. Need for consistency of requirements for animals crossing international, state and provincial borders.
Team Lead - Ms. Jackie Wepruk: National Farm Animal Care Council
Team Members - Ms. Lorna Baird: Alberta Farm Animal Care; Dr. Karen Schwartzkopf-Genswein: Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
- Action Item 5 - Small Ruminants Description of Action Item - Expedite rule making process to restore trade of sheep and goats to the US.
Team Lead - Mr. Rick McRonald: Canadian Livestock Genetics Association
Team Members - Dr. Brian McCluskey: USDA; Dr. Kathleen Parker: Alberta Lamb Producers; Dr. Lynn Tait: Canadian Livestock Genetics Association
- Action Item 6 - Animal Disease Testing Description of Action Item - Address the speed of non?negative animal disease tests results reported across the border so as to not negatively affect cross border trade(border interruption).
Team Lead - Dr. Bill Barton: Idaho State Veterinarian
Team Members - Mr. Kevin Boon: BC Cattlemen's Association
- Action Item 7 - Foot and Mouth Disease (FMD) Vaccination Description of Action Item - Work with stakeholders to prepare in advance and build a common understanding of the tools (vaccination) and strategies that can be used to respond to an FMD outbreak in both Canada and the USA.
Team Lead - Dr. Tom Smylie: CFIA; Dr. Jane Rooney: USDA (Dr. Rooney has accepted a new position so will no longer lead on this file. She will provide the name of her replacement when available).
Team Members - Dr. Jag Dhanda, CFIA